Friday 13 January 2012

She wants to know...

by Marley

6de MK Avontoer part 2

"My name, ooo oo, she wants to know, my name" - December Streets yes another one of those songs that got stuck in our head plenty of times over the period of Avontoer. And thanks to all that has read the build up to Avontoer on my blog, it hit a new record over the 3 weeks!. And the second part is going to be harder to write as well since I got sick around Mosselbaai, getting the flu in summer is one thing but to get it over tour is no fun :( yes I was an unhappy girl.

Back to the Cape, we go... 


With the luxury bus now known as Gammi (the bus driver) bus going to Stellenbosch to drop off seerowers for Christmas the rest of us was on the old school bus. The bus got a character with December Streets stickers all over the bus and the endless search of lighters and smokes. I had a warm Hunters Gold still with me and it had to provide the thirst over the few hours drive. We drove past where Up The Creek will be held again this year as the landscape changed from coastal fyn bos to the open plains of Swellendam.

Finally, we spotted the ocean and the bay of Gansbaai and not long after the flamingos (real ones not those plastic ones) we arrived at Sand-en-See (sand and sea) camp outside Hermanus. Again shotgun for bungalows and I found myself with two other seerowers Jannie and Tunet, some decided that the tents were a better option as the bungalows was a bit dirty with spiders and other creepy crawling lurking around, for me it was a break for trying to dress in a tent. I'm tall (apparently the same height as Michael Schumacher) and the whole dress in a skinny jean thing, ja the bunk bed was welcomed (you can jump further than into a pair). Here we saw that the bathrooms were probably the last sweep when the last Avontoer was there at least the toilets worked as well as the showers. Later on the afternoon, I had to catch a scorpion that was peeping in the girl's showers and that quickly changed the minds of a few seerowers to rather shower in the portable showers that were now travelling with us till the end of the tour. One the "rules" in these portable shower "To save water - shower with a friend!" Eventually, the tents arrived with the mattresses and it was all help pitch up tents for those who wanted it.

MK Avontoer, 6de MK Avontoer, Hermanus Wes Kaap, Avontoer in Hermanus, Sand en See Kamp terrein Hermanus, DPK, Small Town Music blog
Hermanus camp site
By this time we were hungry wolves and the bus took us into the beautiful town of Hermanus where we had 2 hours to explore, first up was to find wine for the evening and a pillow for me together with other 3 seerowers; AJ, Tunet and Jannie we took to the town. We found a nice restaurant that had a very cool waiter (whose name I forgot) but he looked like he should have been one of the seerowers. I have a slight allergy to iodine so I decided on the hake and chips while Tunet and Jannie took on the 50 bucks mussels - that bowl was huge and filled with fresh mussels. I can't remember the last time I've seen mussels that big but the best seafood is at the coast and we enjoyed it. After launch, we pose at the big humpback whale "statue" outside the whale museum and we strolled through the little flea market that was selling from African jewellery to hacky sacks...guess what I bought yes my own hacky sack. We realised that we had to get back to the bus and see rowers Nicole joined us on the walk back. Jannie went to look for the liquor store but couldn't find it and after a slight wait, all the seerowers was on board and ready to go.

Small Town Music, blogs in South Africa, music tours South Africa, Small Town Music Blog, MK Avontoer, MK 6de Avontoer, Avontoer in Hermanus, Hermanus Western Cape, Hermanus, Fishermans Cottage
Our lunch bill at Fisherman's Cottage

Small Town Music, Small Town Music blog, MK Avontoer, Avontoer in Hermanus, 6de MK Avontoer, Hermanus whale museum, Hermanus Western Cape
Playing "squirrel" 

Small Town Music, Small Town Music blog, Hermanus whale museum, MK Avontoer, Avontoer, 6de MK Avontoer, Avontoer in Hermanus
The Humpback Whale statue, Hermanus
Back at camp, I realised how small our group were going to be over Christmas as the loud seerowers who got drunk somewhere along the line was laughing around the table. I got the sunburn from the previous day so I walked with Jannie to the Friendly Grocer...2 km away from camp. In the Cape sun there is no mercy at least in the Lowveld we had some shade trees. But it was nice to look at the houses close up, get to know a new face and just talk about shit, also I get bored quickly so the walking did me greatly on all levels. At the store, my second bottle of sunscreen was bought (yes I went through one bottle already), wine, water, cigarettes etc. The walk back was long, my calves never burn so much and the next day I was stiff as a bone. I turned in for the night as the wind was a bit chilly for my bones and tomorrow is Christmas day. 

Small Town Music blog, MK Avontoer, Avontoer, 6de MK Avontoer, Avontoer in Hermanus, Hermanus Western Cape, blogs about music in South Africa, touring Hermanus
Supplies for Christmas Day

Small Town Music blog, MK Avontoer, Avontoer, 6de MK Avontoer, Avontoer in Hermanus, Hermanus Western Cape, blogs about music in South Africa, touring Hermanus
Sunset on 24 December 2011

Waking up with a spider in your sleeping bag is not cool. Not as nearly falling 2 meters out of your bed trying to get rid of it either. A misty mountain greeted me as I open the door to walk to the bathroom. The camp was so calm, hardly any evidence of the previous night party. It was Christmas morning. In the kitchen, the urn was already busy cooking as the staff of chef Deon was awake already. Taking the opportunity to charge my phone (finally) I went back to the bungalow to get my cup for some fresh coffee. Two see rowers was in the kitchen as well busy waiting for the coffee and charging their phones as well. Now let me explain this, Blackberry users know that your battery doesn't last long between BBM's, phone calls and internet usage. On Avontoer every opportunity you can find to charge your phone you take it! My phone even charge on stage on a night.

With the cup of coffee in one hand, I went to sit on the rocks to watch the sky change, it was just past 7 am. After coffee, I went for a shower and caught another scorpion (thank goodness I shower with flip flops on) and set it free in the bushes away from camp. I went for round two in coffee and the camp was more awake, some had babelas, some of them was still drunk but the conversations under the tree on that shabby picnic table was always interesting. When Dylan and Milla decided to go to town it was hopping on the back of the bakkie with Robby, Bongs, Gooph, Lee and Marisa (one the petite see rowers) just to get away. The previous day we all bought our alcohol which was near low levels from the previous night party in the camp while the others were away but we walked around the flea market which half way open, looked at the sea and deciding where to go. Milla wanted to go to a beach and I was wearing jeans...it was chilly when we left and then the sun came out.

No One's Arc, Gooph of No One's Arc, Small Town Music blog, MK Avontoer, Avontoer, 6de MK Avontoer, Avontoer in Hermanus, Hermanus Western Cape, blogs about music in South Africa, touring Hermanus, Goophy of No One's Arc, No One's Arc
The Goose taking in the ride
We stopped at a beach where there were so many black mussels’ shells it looked like a black carpet. Deez took Lee and Marisa back to camp (something about the sun) and he left the rest of us behind. We went into the small waves to collect interesting shells. The cool water was a blessing but the sun did start to get too much. Deez returned to take his lovely girlfriend for a walk along the rocks while myself and the two guys stayed behind just talking about family and Christmas. I was personally missing Mimi as she was with a friend of ours for Christmas but you got to make the best out of everything. After they returned it was decided to go back to camp, my legs were on fire. Yes, my milk looking legs was now the colour of bright red chillies so I jumped in the shower to cool off and cover up.
Small Town Music blog, MK Avontoer, Avontoer, 6de MK Avontoer, Avontoer in Hermanus, Hermanus Western Cape, blogs about music in South Africa, touring Hermanus, Mussel beach Hermanus
Just a handful of beautiful shells

Small Town Music blog, MK Avontoer, Avontoer, 6de MK Avontoer, Avontoer in Hermanus, Hermanus Western Cape, blogs about music in South Africa, touring Hermanus
Mussels everywhere
Christmas was spending reading a lost magazine, snoozing, drinking and enjoying the company of nature and friends - sounds like Christmas? Almost, we were called for our Christmas launch and boy did this look good! Roast beef, pork, potatoes, mixed veg and the pudding was waiting for us. We ate our fingers off, I couldn't believe how wonderful and delicious the food tasted and I think most (if not all) the see rowers will agree that Deon's food is top class. Yes, I have found someone who can cook better than my mom (but still doesn't come close to her baking), we all stuffed after our launch when some of the see rowers returned from their town trip (with an orchid...) anyhow Christmas was spent lazing around, snoozing, laughing and talking.

The next day we all seemed to be a little hyped up, the rest of the seerowers were coming back that night, eish. Our peaceful camp is soon going to be returned to the rowdy noise of someone calling one of the many Jaco's on tour or those in search of some Tassies. Never the less we all pretty much bored of what was going on around camp. To be honest, I really don't remember much of the 26th, I do remember waking up and there were about 9 guys and 3 girls (including myself) all of a sudden in our bungalow, I just had enough of the snores and pestering spiders. It was a tent for me and new roomie Beth cause she seemed to have the same problem.

Small Town Music blog, MK Avontoer, Avontoer, 6de MK Avontoer, Avontoer in Hermanus, Hermanus Western Cape, blogs about music in South Africa, touring Hermanus
Hermanus beach

Small Town Music blog, MK Avontoer, Avontoer, 6de MK Avontoer, Avontoer in Hermanus, Hermanus Western Cape, blogs about music in South Africa, touring Hermanus
Hermanus mountains
Other than that it was walking to the beach and see my first wild seals playing in the water, getting alcohol from somewhere by some miracle and meeting the human jukebox as someone put it, Basson Laubscher of Zinkplaat. Dylan proofed again that they getting bored as muso's as he started to drum on the empty bottles, cans and cups on the table in front of him even Robby did a beat on the planks of the deck. Dinner was served later on and the main topic all day was the upcoming Gerald Clark and Stefan Dixon show in town, I've seen Gerald in 2011 twice and as much as I appreciate his music I didn't know if I was ready to squeeze into another small club and spend money I could rather spend later on. I heard it was a party of note and till late in the night and see rowers were partying back at camp. 27th couldn't come quicker as we all getting bored with this campsite, see rowers and muso's alike was now hunger for music.

Small Town Music blog, MK Avontoer, Avontoer, 6de MK Avontoer, Avontoer in Hermanus, Hermanus Western Cape, blogs about music in South Africa, touring Hermanus, Zinkplaat, Basson Laubscher
Basson Laubscher

Small Town Music blog, MK Avontoer, Avontoer, 6de MK Avontoer, Avontoer in Hermanus, Hermanus Western Cape, blogs about music in South Africa, touring Hermanus, No One's Arc, Goophy of No One's Arc
Cool sunglasses
Small Town Music blog, MK Avontoer, Avontoer, 6de MK Avontoer, Avontoer in Hermanus, Hermanus Western Cape, blogs about music in South Africa, touring Hermanus, No One's Arc, Dylan Bolton, Dylan of No One's Arc
Deez creating a beat


At Sandbaai Saal inside reminded me of a school hall with the high ceiling, heavy velvet curtains, and wood laid stage. The bar was set up outside and some of the bodies on the bungalow floor turned out to be the travelling barmen of Bohemia in Stellenbosch (awesome place!) Anyway it was again time to look for an ATM, something to snack on and buy something non-alcoholic till the bar opened. This is what happens on Avontoer, you arrive early before they open the doors to the public so it’s sitting around waiting for everything to start but boy once its starts its a party! Mimi also returned from her Christmas and I was very happy to have my sister back with me. The gees were back with all of us and the party was on, The Friendly Lemons kicked off things followed by The December Streets and then NOA. It was extremely humid and hot in the hall and us fans were jumping up and down, singing and drinking...oh wait yes we see rowers we are supposed to act that way.

Small Town Music blog, MK Avontoer, Avontoer, 6de MK Avontoer, Avontoer in Hermanus, Hermanus Western Cape, blogs about music in South Africa, touring Hermanus, AJ van Niekerk photography, Zinkplaat, The Friendly Lemons
Basson Laubcher (Zinkplaat) & Deon Volschenk (Friendly Lemons)

Small Town Music blog, MK Avontoer, Avontoer, 6de MK Avontoer, Avontoer in Hermanus, Hermanus Western Cape, blogs about music in South Africa, touring Hermanus, AJ van Niekerk Photography, No One's Arc, Bongani of No One's Arc, Goophy of No One's Arc
Gooph & Bongs
Small Town Music blog, MK Avontoer, Avontoer, 6de MK Avontoer, Avontoer in Hermanus, Hermanus Western Cape, blogs about music in South Africa, touring Hermanus, AJ van Niekerk photography, Mimi Law of No One's Arc, Lee Nicholls of No One's Arc, No One's Arc
Mimi & Lee
After NOA show I felt like I could use a swim in the ocean but outside in the breeze I over heard the comment "It's so hot in there even my eyeballs are sweating" and an ice cold Mainstay was downed. I had kuier with the boys of Loveglove and it was great to get to know them better. My favourites, Mr. Cat & The Jackal was up next and I didn't knew that our tour manager, Pierre, was one of the members, you learn something new everyday. I feel Mr. Cat & The Jackal is real pirate music and with a song like "Where's my shoes?" its bound to make you walk like a drunk pirate too. 

The evening was for the dub step fans, Double Adapter played the closing slot and I sat outside watched the fire dancers nearly setting fire to the tent. They even had Francois van Coke in there with them, I couldn't really see what they were doing but I'm pretty sure the Jugermeister was cold enough to cool them down. At last we were ready to go on the bus and leave the party as it ended, the fans started to go home and we waiting for a few drips and drapes of seerowers and muso's to join us again. At camp the party went on with camp fire songs and showers being taken...I went to bed.

Small Town Music blog, MK Avontoer, Avontoer, 6de MK Avontoer, Avontoer in Hermanus, Hermanus Western Cape, blogs about music in South Africa, touring Hermanus, AJ van Niekerk photography, Mr Cat and the Jackal band
Mr. Cat & The Jackal

Small Town Music blog, MK Avontoer, Avontoer, 6de MK Avontoer, Avontoer in Hermanus, Hermanus Western Cape, blogs about music in South Africa, touring Hermanus, AJ van Niekerk photography, Mr Cat and the Jackal band
Mr. Cat & The Jackal


Small Town Music blog, MK Avontoer, Avontoer, 6de MK Avontoer, Avontoer in Hermanus, Hermanus Western Cape, blogs about music in South Africa, touring Hermanus, AJ van Niekerk photography, Van Coke Kartel
Van Coke Kartel

End of part 2 of 3 if you want to go back and read the previous post click here. To go to the last part of my experience on 6de MK Avontoer then click here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive