Wednesday 14 December 2011

Wie is bang?

I had to put the subject line as Van Coke Kartel latest album (which is selling like hot cakes I believe) "Wie's bang" is very appropriate to my craze gypsy life that was 2011.

As promised I said I’m going to try and blog a little more about the bands that I will be seeing live on Avontoer and I thought let me give you all the bands in one go, put a photo up and let you click on the hyperlinks. As you will page back into the blog you will read many stories of many lives shows I have seen especially this year, wow it’s been really craze. I’m really looking forward to spend some quality time with some of my good friends during Avontoer and of course seeing a lot of new bands (and few regulars) live for the first time is going to rock.

I've seen Van Coke Kartel (VCK) a moer load full times, I missed their Innibos show but it doesn't mean we did not see them at the Moon. I recently read “Die storie van ‘n bende, Fokoffpolisiekar, 10 jaar later” shit what an education! I’m not big on the whole punk thing but FOP was the starting point and opening doors to a whole lot of other bands we love, aKing, Die Heuwels Fantasies, New Holland and all lot of up coming bands I believe. It takes a while yes, the music industry is a lot of hard work, a lot of time on the road and away from a “normal” life. Before you judge VCK just read FOP book and see where they come from.

Straight from VCK website (and what I knew) is that Francois Van Coke and Wynand Myburgh grew up in Bellville together, and have shared their love for making music for as many years as they have been friends. They have played together in many bands over the years, of which Fokoffpolisiekar is the best known. In 07 FOP took a break and this was an opportunity for Francois and Wynand to start VCK…read more

You can join up their Facebook page or Twitter also check out the tour side of their website, pretty neat

Van Coke Kartel

Die Tuindwergies music is rock, alternative rock and funk. There are 4 guys in the band Peter de Jager are lead vocals, guitar & song writer and known as “Kort Dwerg” (Short Dwarf). Dawie de Jager “Berg Dwerg” (Mountain Dwarf)  on bass, Jean Swiegers “Die Dwerg” (The Dwarf) is on drums and Emile Swiegers “Land Dwerg” (Tall Dwarf) is on lead guitar and backing vocals…read more

I have seen live and they are a very cool band to watch. Find them on Facebook

Die Tuindwergies

The December Streets is new but known, their song “Fire through the window” got play listed on 5FM not so long ago and they too have been on (Live)5. I like them, they are cool and I have not seen them live yet but I'm really forward to it!

The December Streets is an indie rock band from South Africa. The band's debut EP, was released on 20 January 2011. Formed by 5 students of the Tuks who met during 2009-2010…read more

Like their page on Facebook and catch up with their videos on YouTube

The December Streets

No One’s Arc yes of course they on Avontoer, it won’t be so awesome if they weren't there and to be honest when I got my Seerower status I wasn't sure if the band was going to play there again. Understand my excitement here as a band aid, they playing at one of the biggest shows to hit Nelsparta on 17 December, Ali Campbell of UB40 with a whole lot of other SA muso’s.

They have been providing us with their awesome music for the past 10 years and there is no slowing down to their growing popularity across our nation. Their funk/rock/reggae/African roots all come together and their energy on stage is truly something to experience. I can write all I want but you can read their proper bio...read more

You have to like this awesome Nelsparta band on Facebook, follow them on Twitter

No One's Arc

New Holland is an Indy rock band, they recorder their debut album, 01, in March 2008 with engineer Jurgen von Wechmar at Sunset Studios. 2008 also saw New Holland tour along with the Ubuntoer: Rock Against Racism, as well as feature on MK's Studio 1 show...read more


Like their page on Facebook

New Holland


Zinkplaat been around to Nelsparta a few times and I hope that I will have a better opportunity to watching there show without working behind a bar counter! Yay! I don’t condemn the fact that I’m a bar tender at a rock venue its I always work and never play. They are also the master minds behind Avontoer which is now in it's 6th year running.

Zinkplaat is an Afrikaans pop-rock-blues-fusion band from South Africa. The name Zinkplaat is the Afrikaans word for corrugated metal...read more

Check out their website for details, videos and links.

Zinkplaat

Holiday Murray I don’t know, I've seen glimpses of their video on MK recently but I have never seen them in action on stage so no I have not seen every band going on this tour, which is good! As they state on their Facebook Page listen to their music and find out where they playing next…duh Avontoer!

Click "Like" on their Facebook page

Holiday Murray

The Friendly Lemons is another one on my list to watch live and my goodness they hail from Bronkhorstspruit! I didn't even think that town had life there, I was wrong then! As I said I haven’t seen them live, had to watch some of their YouTube stuff to get the music and awe readers they a cool band.
About 3 years ago  4 friends decided to make some music together. Gordon, Deon, Hermaans and Gibbs are all from the same town, Bronkhorstspruit and went to the same school…read more

Yip they also on Facebook so go check them out or their YouTube channel

The Friendly Lemons

Loveglove Pyrotechnics is yet an unknown band among my music mind and I’m just going to post their Facebook page link to their bio, its really something to capture the attention of the reader! Read more here

Yip see these craze guys Facebook!

Loveglove Pyrotechincs
This of course above are the main guys doing Avontoer, you can go back one post to see who are the guests artists are where and when otherwise we all going to sit here and read instead of going out there and support.

Nelsparta and surroundings please come support the UB40 concert on the 17th of December. Gautengers if you are bored tomorrow night you can catch No One’s Arc at Tanz Café, the rest of us the last 2011 Open Mic session at Pronk on the 15th of December (free entry!) and lastly to all those party animals that is looking for a good warm party for the Ali Campbell show, Dèja Vu is hosting a warm up party with some big guns including No One’s Arc, R 100 will be the cover charge there and its promises to be a huge one. For this gig I don’t recommend anyone under the age of 21 to go and remember that Dèja Vu got a smart casual dress code so ladies you can wear your cocktail dresses! Dèja Vu is located on the top floor of the Village Spar complex in Nelsparta (the old Brazen Head)

I still got a shit load to get through here, so many music, so little time!
Thanks for all the read, likes, tweets and Facebook. I appreciated it to the extreme! Thanks to all my friends who voted for me in the NOA competition, I didn't win but hey congrats to Rudi, Nyll and Alicia - true Arc'ers.

I hope to give you all shout out after Ali Campbell otherwise I will keep you all updated on Twitter

Peace and Love 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive