Thursday 11 April 2013

Angels Wings

By Marley

Every time I meet a new musician they always do something that makes me remember them the next time. I'm talking about if they come to the bar or they are on stage or they just randomly introduce themselves to you. That was Paul Wilson, he had the biggest brightest smile that is how I remember him. I can never forget his brother Gareth either; he must bend down each time he walks through the Blue Moon bar door frame. Their bassist Tammy is a petite blonde with the maddest skills on bass.

One of my favorite memories from the Southern Gypsy Queens is from STRAB 2011. I was walking along the beach to the bar (which was an insane work out on my calves) and I walked past the Wilson's where they were chilling on the beach with friends and significant others. That picture is captured in my head forever, also when Paul was jumping with us in the crowd to the beat of The Black Cat Bones show. 



The last time I saw the Gypsy's play was at The Winter Festival in Dullstroom last year July. Simi and I was on invited of a friend to come for the night, we caught the last big of SGQ slot where they played with Albert Frost. After the show I wasn't sure if they would remember the two craze bar tenders from Blue Moon but they did even Paul. He looked at me, smiled and said "I know you!" The night was spent in the bar with them, few handful musicians and friends partying till late into the night. When I sent Gareth a tweet earlier this year to hear if they going to Up The Creek I was sad that it was their year they were skipping the festival. They went to see the Red Hot Chilli Peppers instead. Paul followed us on Twitter which meant the world to me because I knew he was keeping his eye on us.


With Paul sudden passing it left behind a huge dark empty space in the music business. All of us who met him at gigs, festivals and random place will tell all the same thing - what a man. I know I'm going to miss him at shows. Whatever happens now with Southern Gypsy Queen I know the fans will support them, we will never stop supporting. 

Tweet from Gareth - 04 April 2012


To Paul family, his friends and his co-workers our deepest condolences goes out to you. Even as far as a small town named Nelspruit his legend is an essence that will forever be felt on the Blue Moon mountain.



Rest in peace you beautiful man 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive