Saturday 6 July 2013

The Tailor Interview

A huge fantastic shout out to the team at Underground Press which made it possible for Marley to interview the ever fantastic Tailor

Innibos with Tailor
Marley van Wetten

About a year or so ago a friend of mine, Werner, sent me a link to a video on Facebook saying “Check this girl out Marley”. So I checked it out, it was “Wolf” by Tailor and after I hit replay for the fifth time I knew I was hooked. In February this year I sat next to Werner at Up The Creek music festival in awe while watching this lady perform. Now in June I was standing right up front by the MK Stage at Innibos watching her, singing with, dancing with and just taking it in for the second time.


Tailor - Courtesy of The Famous Frouws

Tailor is simply one of our best vocal and performing female artists in this country. Her debut album “The Dark Horse” has received many praises, the record sales alone speaks for itself that she is gaining fans where ever she goes. I’m for one are always comfortable to speak to musicians but to Tailor I felt like I’m speaking to royalty, musical royalty. And in the brief moment that I met her I can tell you this is girl friendly and open, a person that I would like to sit down with and have a glass of wine with.
It’s a day after I saw her at Innibos and every time I hear one of her songs on my playlist it is instant goose flesh and the saying goes “When the music is good, the goose flesh comes with”

I must first say what an honour it is for a music fan, especially a fan of you, to ask you these questions. Met you briefly at Innibos and you simply just amazed me with your live performance again. You’re too kind –Thank you

Undeground Press: Where did you grow up?
Tailor: Pretoria

Undeground Press: Where does your song writing inspiration come from? Your songs simply touch people in different ways.
Tailor: Thank you for your kind words. People’s stories inspire me, but these days I have been drawing more from my own heart and my own stories. It’s a new process for me but it feels good.

Undeground Press: Your music videos are a pleasure to watch, your video like the “Wolf” Did you come up with any ideas that were used in the videos?
Tailor: Yeah, It was an collaborative effort between director Warrick Allan and myself.

Undeground Press: You performed at the MK Stage, Innibos on Wednesday evening. What did you think of the festival? Did you get time to walk around a bit before your show?
Tailor: I absolutely adore this festival. Probabaly the best festival I have played at. The crowd was very responsive and I got to meet a few well known Afrikaans artists whom I really like.

Undeground Press: It’s been a great year so far for you, MK Award and SAMA nominations (which I feel you should have won) how does this make you feel as a musician?
Tailor: Thank you, It makes me feel like people are listening and taking note. It’s a good feeling indeed. Blessed.

Undeground Press: Are you going to try to take your music onto the international market?
Tailor: Yeah, I have an amazing record label (Just Music) backing me, so I am sure there are few great opportunities in the pipe line.

Undeground Press: I have to ask you why you moved from Cape Town to Johannesburg?
Tailor: Purely a career move. Starting preproduction on new album soon.

Undeground Press: Which South African artists / band do you enjoy listening to?
Tailor: Straatligkinders, Bittereinder, Van Coke Kartel, Spoegwolf

Undeground Press: Do you have a favourite festival? Like Up The Creek or Splashy Fen?
Tailor: OppiKoppi

Undeground Press: Favourite thing about touring?
Tailor: Being on the road, meeting people. Spreading the word!

Undeground Press: What are your plans for the rest of the year?
Tailor: Doing a lot of traveling. Promoting the Dark Horse and focusing on the new album.

Undeground Press: A lot of girls are out there who wants to break into the music industry as either singers or song writers or both – do you have any advice for them?
Tailor: Keep believing. Own what you know you are good at and GO FOR IT!

Undeground Press: Where do you see the South African music industry heading in the next five years?
Tailor: We can only go up from here. I have a lot of high hopes for it. So many new and exciting acts coming out.

Undeground Press: We have asked, how was it working with Mathew Fink?
Tailor: Matthew, I consider to be one of my best friends and the best producer I have worked with in a long time. He is a magical genuis and such an honour to have worked with him.

Undeground Press: Lastly you are very open and receptive toward your fans and we thank you for that.
Tailor: Well, it’s because of you that I am writing. So I give just as much love back to you!


This interview was conducted by Marley van Wetten on behalf of Underground Press

Thank you to the team of Underground Press!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive