Thursday 31 October 2013

‘You make me feel like the man on the moon’ – 13in2013

By Marley

There are alot of Nelspartans that I don’t completely understand sometimes. Firstly, they are quick to complain that there is nothing to do. Secondly, yes, there is the rain factor – you can get around it, but then there is the realistic factor – that people simply don’t have money to spend anymore on things like a night out.

Royal Lens Photography, Small Town Music blog, blogs about South African music, ISO band, Richard Brokensha, Blue Moon, live events in Nelspruit
Richard Brokensha of ISO


Blue Moon “13 in 2013” didn't get off on a good start with a cold front pulling in bringing rain and thunderous clouds. I was of course in high spirits, 13 years sprung up on me like a head full of grey hair – we are getting wiser. For a change I was a fan and not staff, which to me was a new role to play for the first time in 5 years. I loved every minute of it.

My good friend Noodle and I set off with Natty Gee and two of his friends to the Moon. I won a bottle of tequila some months back and decided that the 13th birthday party of such a cool venue would be the perfect place to appreciate it. After we set up camp, we walked down to the gate to finalise some business, Noodle being the eager beaver he is, filled up on some bags of colour powder. He tied them to a piece of wood and called it his “Colour lat” like klei lat only with colour bags.

Then we were off to the bar where we greeted all the familiar faces and gave Oom Neil a big welcome back. For once I could drink a beer and not feel guilty about work later. After the beer it was time for a cider and off I went to go greet my little sister Leichen who was busy preparing food for the night in the Blue Moon kitchen. She recently got a part in a project called ‘Shades’, but I can’t divulge too much information about that – it’s a music secret.

Royal Lens Photography, Blue Moon Nelspruit, Events in Nelspruit, music in south africa, Apple Finger, CMDA, Small Town Music blog, events at Blue Moon Nelspruit
Apple Finger


Royal Lens Photography, Blue Moon Nelspruit, Events in Nelspruit, music in south africa, Apple Finger, CMDA, Small Town Music blog, events at Blue Moon Nelspruit
Apple Finger
The first band was CMDA’s Apple Finger, and the girls were dressed like pin-up sailor girls. Think Christina Aguleira’s “Candy man’ video. It’s a fresh new approach.  I was absorbed in watching their bassist (Zan Mehta) – a petite Indian girl with a bass taller than she was. They played mostly covers and they were well received by their fans and the crowd. After them the rockers from Pretoria took to the stage – The Sky. It was the second time I’d seen them live and they are certainly the most underrated band on our scene. I love their music, it’s so original and what sets them apart is not only their talent but their long, busy, wild 70’s rocker hair styles. I highly recommend them to any rock fan.

Royal Lens Photography, Small Town Music blog, Blue Moon Nelspruit, The Sky band, bands from Pretoria, blogs about South African music, Nelspruit events 2013, Blue Moon events
The Sky
Time for another drink and as I headed to the bar my senses were ambushed with colour, somehow the blue colour “Smurf coke” and “Crushed Sunflower powder” (the street names) were unleashed, and ja - I was in the middle of it. Before I knew it the whole bar looked the inside of a rainbow that made love to a smartie box. I even got chased almost half way up the mountain by a bunch of colour warriors previously known as my friends. After the colour war The December Streets were up and I was taken back to the vivid memories of the 6de Avontoer. Tristan was sporting a brand new hair style, he looked a bit blue though after he got thrown with powder just before hitting the stage. Despite that their music filled the mountain air and the small crowd sang out loud with the power of a crowd 300 strong. Their well known hits like ‘Fire through the window’ and ‘My Name’ were sang almost louder than the band. They also played a few new songs which I’m sure we will hear again in a future album.


Royal Lens Photography, Blue Moon Nelspruit, The December Streets, music events in Nelspruit, Small Town Music, blogs in Nelspruit, live events in Nelspruit
The December Streets

Royal Lens Photography, Blue Moon Nelspruit, The December Streets, music events in Nelspruit, Small Town Music, blogs in Nelspruit, live events in Nelspruit
Tristan Coetzee of
The December Streets

After their show I felt tequila summoning and felt like another ice cold cider, all the while catching glimpses of the stage and the different colours that filled the air. They looked amazing from the bar deck, and I was attacked again by my freakishly tall friend Noodle. ISO quickly made their way onto the stage and once again it was a fantastic show. No confetti this time but a receptive crowd of colourful faces that were singing aloud to “No Fire”, “Oxygen” and “Heaven”. A brief chat with Richard (front man of ISO) revealed that there was never any news about their stolen trailer, and like everyone else they had to replace what they lost. A music instrument is like an arm or leg to a musician, and this year alone there have been about 2 bands and one rock individual that were robbed blind. But the theft didn't stop ISO and it certainly didn't stop the fans from having the time of their life. Yet another colour war broke out somehow after their show and it migrated to the bar, which quickly emptied. Unlike my face, which was full of colour, my memory faded, but I do remember being sneakily attacked a few times.

Royal Lens Photography, Alex Parker, ISO, ISO band, Blue Moon Nelspruit, Small Town Music blog, blogs about South African music, Blue Moon events, Events in Nelspruit
Alex Parker


Royal Lens Photography, Blue Moon Nelspruit, ISO band in South Africa, ISO band, Richard Brokensha, Small Town Music blog, blogs about SA music, Blue Moon events
Richard Brokensha


Royal Lens Photography, Blue Moon Nelspruit, ISO band South Africa, ISO photos, Nelspruit events 2013, Small Town Music blog, blogs about South African music, Blue Moon events
Franco Schoeman & Marko Benini
I bought a bottle of good Tassies for the walk down to the bon fire at the chalets but it was not lit. Rudi and I quickly lit it and went back up to fetch the remaining bands. The mist and soft rain didn't stop us from talking till the wee hours of the morning. I just made it to my tent when the rain started to pour down at 03:30 am.
After a fantastic sleep I was up at 09:00 am and just in time for a bit of breakfast and coffee made by my dear friend Beany. We watched the clouds roll down the mountain and into the valley below and I was reminded again why I love this place so much. I went to Anthony, who was still in bed, to have a long chat about UTC 2014, the previous night and of course what’s going in our lives. I have so much respect for him that I’m humbled every time I see him.

13in2013 might not have been the raving success we all hoped for. I know there are a lot of Blue Mooners that would have loved to have been there. Some as far as America and Australia said they would have been there if they could have. Blue Moon was the start of Small Town Music blog and it’s far away from ending. The spirit of Blue Moon is not dead, it’s still in the mountains, in between the cracks of the pine bar counter. The vinyl’s against the walls, the smell of warm speakers and fresh mountain air. The spirit really is still there, in our hearts and in our memories.

Royal Lens Photography, Small Town Music blog, blogs in nelspruit, Blue Moon events, events in nelspruit 2013
Dirty clean fun at Blue Moon Nelspruit -
Marley and Simi
It is also a sad good bye to a member of our Blue Moon family – Madelein. She worked there a few short months and totally turned around Blue Moons marketing and networking approach. Her work has not gone unnoticed and I know that we are going to miss her as she goes onto her next chapter in her life – studies in Pretoria. Madz, your experiences with Jagermeister and bands might have been a learning curve but certainly a memorable one. My dedication song to you is Van Coke Kartel “Dankie, ek's veilig hier” – because I will always associate your beautiful face with them (May 2013).



The future of Blue Moon is not as clear, but I can tell you that in November they will be bringing you one more party. The blues/rock folk will love this line up and I suggest you keep a close eye on our Facebook Page for more news. Again, thank you to each and every reader, whether you enjoy my posts or not , I see it in the shares on the networks – so honored.

Photo credit: Royal Lens Photography (thanks brother)
Like Small Town Music blog and be as cool as an ice cube in a glass of coke
If you like blue birds then we are on Twitter as well

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive